I had been pondering how I was going to compress my clutch springs once I start getting my motor together for a while now. I considered buying a compressing tool but I never did get around to pricing one. It looked simple enough, so I had thought about making one.
Today, it was raining, and I was bored, so I wandered into the garage and spied a nice piece of 1/4" flat stock lying on my bench. Hmmmmmm... that looks like a perfect begining for one of those clutch spring tools....
I got my Midwest catalogue to take another look at the tool. It looks rather like an oversize steering wheel puller that I have in my tool box. It's one of those KD cheepos. It probably cost me 15 dollars or so.
I thought on it for a few and figured that I might be able to drill some holes in this here piece of steel, and then bolt my KD puller to it, bolt it to the case, and presto, instant compressor!
Here's a couple of quick drawings of what I did. I'm not exactly sure what length 14-20 bolt I'll need, but I'm guessing a 6" bolt should do. I'll be giving it a live test in a couple of weeks and I'll update this page afterward. It sure looks like it will work just fine, and it cost nothing to make.
This site created the old fashioned way, with a text editor.